7/19/13

Portraits of Josh (+ D1x test)



Filmmaker, colleague, friend, and collaborator Josh Izenberg from Big Young Films asked me to take some portraits for his rapidly expanding bio. Believe it or not I grabbed my new (old) D1x that my mate and neighbor - photographer Paul Kirchner - has (permanently) loaned me. So why would I be using a 12 year old 6 megapixel digital camera? Well, I don't think there's an extremely logical reason other than the fact that I love how this thing feels, sounds, weighs, etc. I love how tiny the LCD is and how you can't see shit. And I love the 'grain' structure. I'm finding these new 'super-powered' DSLRs to look strangely pixelated, blown-out, and digital - and that's not how I see the world. I've always been attracted to old cameras and strangely enough, this is now an old camera. Using an older tool that is completely void of hype seems to calm me. I'm not looking for the next best thing, I'm just focussed on making photos. Regardless, I'm pleased with these results. 


No comments:

Post a Comment